Hey Guys! I woke up yesterday morning with skip in my step and a craving for chocolate covered coconut goodness! Although traditional bounty bars are simply coconut dipped in chocolate (recipe for that coming this week), I wanted to spice it up a bit and give the bar a little more texture and an extra nutritional punch. These vegan bounty bars are free of refined sugar and won’t send your blood sugar levels on a crazy rollercoaster ride. The cookie base gives the bar a great mouthfeel and an extra hit of chocolate. I call them my Choco-Coco Chunks (Bounty Inspired Bars!).
They look like they could be a lengthy process but it was actually one of the easiest recipes. All you need are dates, coconut (oil, shreds), almonds, maple syrup, vanilla extract and a chocolate bar. Simple, right? The recipe is divided into 3 parts; blend, press, freeze, repeat. For those looking for a little more UMPH, you can add a couple drops of peppermint oil to your coconut layer, which will elevate this bounty bar to a peppermint patty. Recipe coming up soon for that bad boy.
Let me know how you guys like them by leaving a comment in the comment section below! Come check out my instagram feed for daily meal inspiration or sign up to my newsletter for monthly recipes, health & wellness tips and nutritional benefits for our everyday foods.
Have a great weekend!
- 2 cups almonds, raw / unsalted
- 5 cup dates, soaked
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- dash cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 3 cups desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 100g 85% chocolate
- In a food processor, combine all base ingredients and blend until smooth. Squeeze a little between your fingers. The texture should be a little sticky/doughy - enough for you to be able to press it down in a pan without it crumbling.
- Line a 9 X 9 baking pan with saran wrap. Make sure there's extra saran on either side so you can cover each layer while it sets in the freezer. Pour base contents into pan and press down firmly using your fingers. Cover with saran wrap and place in freezer for 15 minutes while you make the coconut layer.
- In a (rinsed) food processor, combine all coconut layer ingredients and blend until smooth. This may take a couple minutes. You may need to add a tbsp of coconut oil to help loosen it up. Remove bars from freezer and remove saran wrap.
- Pour coconut layer overtop base and press down firmly using your fingers. Cover back with saran and place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- In a double boiler, melt 85% chocolate. Remove bars from freezer and remove saran wrap. Pour melted chocolate overtop. Using a spoon, evenly spread melted chocolate. Pop the finished product in the fridge for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Holding onto the extra saran wrap, pull the entire 9X9 bar out of the pan and place on a cutting board. Slice into individual bars before serving. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.